A simple zero waste recipe to turn your broccoli stalks into mash! I also suggest some other zero waste recipes with broccoli stalks: soup, wok, quiche or a flan for instance. Enjoy!
Zero waste broccoli mash
- 2 broccoli stalks
- 2 small potatoes
- olive oil or butter
- pumpkin seeds optional
- Rinse the broccoli and potato stems.
- Peel with a peeler the broccoli stalks to remove the hard parts. Cut the base of the florets to peel them more easily.
- Peel the potatoes.
- Cut potatoes and broccoli florets into small pieces.
- Steam for 15 to 20 minutes. Check the cooking time with the tip of a knife.
- When the vegetables are cooked, mash them with a fork or with a masher in a salad bowl, adding a knob of butter or a drizzle of olive oil.
- Season with nutmeg, salt and pepper.
- Just before serving, you can sprinkle a few squash seeds over the mash, add a few broccoli florets if you have any, and a little parsley or coriander!