Initially, Stroganoff is a traditional Russian recipe made with beef, usually called “Beef Stroganoff”. The beef is marinated and then braised in a sauce made with sour cream, mustard, paprika, onions and mushrooms.
Here I propose you a vegan version with lentils instead of the beef. You can eat it as a main dish or as a side dish with fresh pasta or potatoes. Enjoy!
Vegan lentils & mushroom Stroganoff
- 250 g lentils green or beluga
- 6 mushrooms
- 2 small carrots optional
- 1 onion
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 8 cl white wine
- 10 cl fresh cream
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp tomato sauce
- 1 tbsp wholegrain mustard
- 2 cubes of vegetable stock
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp paprika
- Finely chop the onion and garlic.
- Fry them in a large casserole dish in a little oil.
- Wash and finely chop the mushrooms. Brown them with the onions and garlic.
- Pour in the white wine and let it evaporate.
- Add the tomato sauce, soy sauce, mustard and spices (nutmeg, paprika, dill, thyme and pepper). Stir well and fry for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Bring some water to the boil.
- Add the lentils, cover with hot water and add the 2 stock cubes. You can also add some bay leaves if you have some.
- If you want to add some carrots, slice them thinly and add them at this stage.
- After about 30 to 40 minutes of cooking, check the lentils are just cooked. Once they are cooked through, add the cornstarch and stir well. Finally, pour in the cream and mix.
- Serve hot and sprinkle some parsley leaves.