Palak chole (also called chana palak) is a delicious Indian meal. It is made with chickpeas, spinach, tomato puree and spices of course. With its high content in protein, it’s definitely a healthy vegan dish, and besides it’s simple and quick to prepare ! You can serve it with naan, chapati or rice for instance.
Spinach and chickpea curry (Palak chole)
- 400 g chickpeas
- 350 g tomato dices
- 120 g spinach baby spinach or frozen spinach
- 1 onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 cm fresh ginger
- 10 cl coconut milk you can replace it with vegetable broth or plant based cream like cashew cream
- 1 tsp paprika or red chilli powder
- ½ tsp garam masala powder
- 1 tsp curry powder
- ½ tsp powdered cumin
- ½ tsp powdered turmeric
- ½ tsp ground coriander
- ½ tsp aamchoor powder or lemon juice instead
- Oil or butter or ghee
- Few sprigs of cilantro
- Finely chop the onion, garlic and ginger.
- In a large frying pan, heat a little oil (or butter or ghee) and then fry the onion over low heat for 5 minutes until translucent.
- Add the garlic and fry for another 2 minutes.
- Then add the ginger and fry for 2 minutes.
- Add the spices and mix well. Heat for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Pour the diced tomatoes and their juice over the mixture. Add at the same time the vegetable broth or vegetable milk. Simmer for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Drain the chickpeas and incorporate them to the mixture (you can use the water from the chickpeas for other recipes!). Simmer on very low heat for 5 minutes.
- Finally add the spinach and simmer for another 5 minutes.
- Just before serving, sprinkle with fresh coriander leaves.