I love cooking spaghetti squash! It’s an easy vegetable to prepare and with its flesh like spaghetti you can cook it in many different ways! This recipe is inspired by the classical “pasta al ragù” (sometimes called spaghetti bolognese – even though that’s not really the same thing). But I made a vegan version that it is quite quick to prepare and super easy. Enjoy!
Spaghetti squash with vegetables
- 1 spaghetti squash
- 1 eggplant
- 1 tomato
- 1 carrot
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 small onion
- 250 g mushrooms porcini or shiitake or brown mushrooms
- 2 tbsp tomato sauce
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 sprigs rosemary
- few parsley leaves
- olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Cut the squash into two parts and remove the heart (the part with the seeds).
- On a baking tray or in an ovenproof dish covered with baking paper, place the two halves of the squash, hollow side up.
- Pour 2 tablespoons of oil into the hollow of each half and then brush the inside of the squash with a brush.
- Place a sprig of halved rosemary and a bay leaf in each half, season with salt and pepper.
- Cook the squash for 35 to 40 minutes, watching the cooking so that it does not burn.
Preparation of the other vegetables
- While the squash is cooking, prepare the rest of the ingredients. Finely chop the garlic, onion and carrot. Dice the tomato and eggplant.
- Steam the eggplant for 15 minutes.
- At the same time, fry the garlic and onion in a hot frying pan with a drizzle of olive oil.
- Once the garlic and onion golden, add the carrot and stir regularly.
- After 5 minutes, add the tomato and then the eggplant once the steaming is over (check with the tip of a knife).
- Add the tomato sauce and simmer over very low heat, stirring regularly.
Assembling all the ingredients
- When the spaghetti squash is cooked, scrape the flesh with a fork. Collect all the flesh and add to the pan with the vegetables.
- Keep warm on a very low heat or off the heat with a lid on.
- Prepare the mushrooms in another pan. Fry them in a drizzle of olive oil in large pieces with the parsley until they are cooked. Then, add them to the squash + vegetables mixture.
- Adjust the seasoning of the dish as necessary, and serve hot!
- Serve as a single dish, or as an side dish to a cereal cake, white fish or meat.