Here’s a delicious and easy recipe to prepare tasty vegetables that you can adapt according to the season (see some suggestions at the end of the recipe).
The orange adds a touch of sweetness to the seasoning, so the vegetables will turn a bit candied when cooked, while the rosemary will bring some herbal flavour.
You can serve these roasted vegetables as a side dish with fish, meat, cereal patties or dumplings, for example.
I also like to use them to garnish pitas, adding a few olives, feta cheese and some tahini-yoghurt sauce, for a tasty meal on the go!
Roasted vegetables with orange and rosemary
- 6 small beetroots
- 1 or 2 fennel bulbs
- 2 red onions
- 6 carrots
- 4 potatoes
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 2 sprigs rosemary
- 1 orange
- 40 ml olive oil
- salt & pepper
- Preheat the oven to 210°C.
- Clean the vegetables and peel the beetroot and onions.
- Halve the onions and cut into thin strips (cut each half into 6 pieces). Peel the garlic, cut the cloves in half and press the cloves with the back of a knife.
- Cut the beetroots into sticks (a bit like wedges).
- Trim the ends of the fennel. Cut the bulb in half and remove part of the core if you wish, then chop the fennel into fine strips.
- Cut the carrots into 2 or 3 lengthways, then cut the carrot pieces into sticks.
- Cut the potatoes like wedges
- Remove the zest from the orange using a zester and set aside. Cut the orange in half and squeeze the juice from half an orange.
- Pour the orange juice into a very large bowl, add the zest, the olive oil and the rosemary. Add a pinch of salt and mix well.
- Place the vegetables in the large bowl and toss with your hands to soak all the vegetables in the oil-orange-rosemary marinade.
- Arrange the vegetables in a single layer on a baking tray lined with baking paper.
- Place in the oven and stir the vegetables with a spatula halfway through cooking, after about 20 minutes.
- Bake for a further 25 minutes, checking with a knife that the flesh of the vegetables has melted.
- Season with pepper, set aside and reheat for a few minutes before serving!