Tandoori is a mixture of spices used for cooking with a tandoor (clay oven) in traditional Indian cooking. Usually it is mixed with yogurt. Meat, cheese (paneer) or even vegetables are marinated in this tandoori sauce and then cooked on sticks on high heat in a tandoor. I could also have called this recipe Tikka vegetables (tikka refers to ingredients marinated in a tandoori sauce and cooked in a tandoor).
Here I propose a simple version with vegetables marinated in a tandoori sauce and then roasted in the oven.
Roasted tandoori vegetables
- 2 large carrots I use purple carrots for a more colorful dish
- 6 buttons mushrooms
- 4 garlic cloves
- 3 tbsp fresh chopped ginger
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 tbsp tandoori spice mixture
- 1 tsp ground paprika
- 2 tbsp water
- 1,5 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp honey
- About 6 sprigs of About 6 sprigs of coriander
- 1 greek yogurt or vegan yogurt for a vegan recipe (cashew for instance)
- Finely chop the garlic and fresh ginger.
- Pour the garlic and ginger into a small blender or mincer. Add the tandoori spices, paprika, oil and water and mix long enough to obtain a pasty texture. To make it easier to obtain a paste you can add the lemon juice at this time, or add it afterwards with the yoghurt.
- Once the tandoori paste is obtained, mix it in a bowl with the yogurt.
- Add the lemon juice and honey and mix well. Taste, add salt and pepper if necessary.
- Add 3 chopped sprigs of coriander and mix again.
- Wash and cut the carrots into fairly thin sticks, and the mushrooms into medium-thick slices.
- Arrange the vegetables on a baking tray or gratin dish covered with baking paper.
- Brush generously with tandoori sauce.
- Leave to rest for 1 hour in a cool place.
- Preheat the oven to 200 °C.
- Remove the excess marinade and pour it into a bowl.
- Put the vegetables in the oven. Halfway through the cooking time (i.e. after 10 minutes) take the dish out and turn the vegetables over. Brush with the remaining marinade and bake for another 10 minutes.
- Enjoy hot with coriander leaves (with the remaining sprigs).