Here is a recipe for a summer cake, with a hint of Margherita pizza with its 3 main star ingredients: mozzarella, tomatoes and basil!
The cake can be eaten hot, warm or cold: perfect for a snack, a starter or a picnic!
Roasted cherry tomato, mozzarella and basil cake
- 3 eggs
- 10 cl milk
- 7 cl olive oil + 1 drizzle for cooking the tomatoes
- 200 g flour
- 200 g cherry tomatoes
- 100 g mozzarella di buffala if possible
- 10 g yeast
- 1 pinch of salt
- 8 basil leaves
- 3 tbsp pine nuts optional
- Preheat the oven to 200°C.
- Rinse the cherry tomatoes and place them in a bowl. Drizzle with a generous amount of olive oil, season with pepper (and possibly a little fresh or dried thyme) and mix well to coat the tomatoes with oil.
- Then place the tomatoes in a baking dish and roast for 20 minutes, stirring halfway through.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk and oil.
- Gradually add the flour, baking powder and pinch of salt, and continue mixing to obtain a smooth dough.
- Fry the pine nuts in a pan over a low heat for ¾ min so that they colour a little.
- Cut the mozzarella into small pieces and roughly chop the basil leaves.
- Add the roasted tomatoes, mozzarella and basil to the cake mixture and mix well.
- Then pour the mixture into a cake tin, previously oiled or covered with baking paper.
- Bake for about 35 minutes (+/- 5 minutes), and check if it’s cooked with the blade of a knife: it should come out clean when you push the knife into the cake.
- Leave to cool on a wire rack and enjoy!