A nice way to recycle your rhubarb peelings: turn them into a delicious syrup! Easy and very quick. You can enjoy this zero waste syrup in your drinks or desserts!
Zero waste rhubarb syrup
- 50 g rhubarb peelings equivalent to the peelings of 5/6 stems
- 260 g sugar
- 500 ml water
- juice from half a lemon
- Place the rhubarb peels in a saucepan. Pour in the water and lemon juice.
- Bring to the boil, then cook over medium heat for about ten minutes.
- Turn off the heat. Place a sieve over a bowl or saucepan and pour in the mixture. Squeeze the rhubarb peelings well with the back of a spoon to extract all the juice.
- Add the sugar to the strained syrup. Mix and cook for a good ten minutes until the liquid becomes syrupy.
- Meanwhile, sterilise a glass bottle for about ten minutes in a pot of boiling water and turn it upside down on a clean cloth once sterilised.
- As soon as the syrup is ready, pour it immediately into the sterilised bottle and close.
- Leave to cool and store in a cool place.