This is a typical thin Italian flatbread folded in two and stuffed with ham and arugula and cheese or other fillings. It was traditionally cooked on a terracotta dish. Here I give you a recipe with a vegetarian filling. I love this meal and I think that if you don’t have an oven at home to make homemade pizza, this is a really good option you should try!
Ingredients for the piadine
- 500 g flour
- 60 cl olive oil Note: in the original recipe, lard is used instead of olive oil
- 6 g salt
- 3 g baking soda
- 220 ml tepid water
Ingredients for the filling
- 200 g stracchino or sqcuarerone or crescenza (soft italian cream cheese) – if you can't find any you can still use burrata or a creamy mozzarella
- 3 zucchini
- 6 carrots
- 10 mushrooms any kind
- Few basil leaves
Instructions for the piadine
- Mix the flour, baking soda and salt in a bowl. Then add the olive oil and tepid water, and continue mixing with a wooden spatula.
- Knead with floured hands for about ten minutes. If necessary, add a little water or flour, so that the dough is not too sticky and holds well.
- Form a ball and cover it with a damp cloth and let it rest for 30 minutes.
- In the meantime, prepare the filling (see below).
- Divide the dough into 6 balls of equal weight. Sprinkle your worktop with corn starch (or flour), and roll out the balls with a roller to form round patties about 22 cm in diameter, 3/4 mm thick.
- Cook the piadina in a slightly oiled hot pan (or crepe pan) over medium heat. Count about 2 mn 30 / 3 mn per side, and crush the bubbles that form with a fork.
Instructions for the filling
- Wash and slice the carrots and zucchini.
- Steam them for 10 minutes (or fry them in a pan if you prefer).
- Cut the mushrooms into slices and fry them in the pan.
- When the zucchini and carrots are cooked, add them to the pan and season with oregano, thyme, salt and pepper.
- Brush a piadina generously with cheese, add the vegetables and a few basil leaves.
- Reheat in a pan (or crepe pan) for 2 minutes and serve.
- Normally the piadina is served folded in half. You can accompany it with a mixed salad.