Before giving you the recipe, I would like to point out that this recipe can be highly customized according to the spices you like and your imagination. The recipe I give you is not THE traditional recipe, but my favorite version of this Iranian dish which basic ingredients are potatoes and egg.
Sibzamini basically means potatoes in Persian. Sib is apple, and zamini is ground. So it literally means “apple from the ground” (like in French for instance!).
Persian potato patties
- 4 big potatoes
- 2 large eggs
- 40 g flour any kind
- 2 green onions or 1 small yellow onion
- dried mint or parsley
- Turmeric powder
- Coriander powder
- 1 handful barberries dried
- saffron optional
- 1 clove of garlic optional
- Peel and cut the potatoes into small pieces. Steam them until they are cooked. You can also cook them in boiling water. Meanwhile, chop your onions and garlic if you add some.
- Once the potatoes are cooked, mash them using a fork or potato masher. Then add the eggs and continue mashing and mixing.
- Add all the spices, onions and garlic and mix well. Finally, add the flour and mix.
- Heat a drizzle of oil in a pan. Take a portion of the mixture with a wooden spatula and form a pancake directly in the pan (about 8 to 10 cm in diameter and 1 cm thick). Brown each side for about 4 minutes over medium heat (they should be nicely browned), and set aside.
- It is better to make small patties (like the one on the picture) to be able to turn them well.