A simple lemon cake recipe, to which I like to add poppy seeds, with a sugar-lemon icing decorated with hazelnuts.
Iced lemon pound cake
Lemon cake with icing on top
- 4 eggs
- 200 g flour
- 150 g sugar
- 120 g butter
- 5 g baking powder
- 1 lemon organic
- vanilla powder
- pinch of salt
- poppy seeds optional
- 100 g icing sugar
- 2 to 3 tbsp lemon juice
- Mix the eggs, sugar and vanilla. Gradually add the flour and baking powder, and a pinch of salt and continue mixing. Melt the butter and add it to the mixture. You can add poppy seeds if you like.
- Finely grate the skin of the lemon (do not grate the white skin as it is bitter), and add the zest to your preparation. Add the juice of half a lemon.
- Preheat your oven to 180 ° C (Th 6).
- Line a cake pan with baking paper and pour your preparation. Bake for 40 minutes at 180°C. Check with the tip of a knife that your cake is baked. Once cooked, let it cool on a rack.
- Once the cake has cooled, prepare the frosting: mix the icing sugar with 2 tablespoons of lemon juice, then add either a little tepid water or a little lemon juice if necessary, in order to obtain an ideal consistency: the glaze must be almost solid but you want to be able to spread with a spatula.
- Spread the frosting on the cake, leave it for a short while, then enjoy! You can decorate the frosting with walnuts, hazelnuts, almonds, and / or sprinkle with lemon zest.
Here’s some ideas of changes you could make to this recipe:
- you could add almond or hazelnut powder or add sesame seeds
- you could also add a little milk or cream to your preparation
- you could serve the cake with fresh fruits like strawberries or raspberries… or ice cream !