Date and chocolate: a very successful combination of ingredients, that I hope you will like in this cake recipe. I also like sometimes to add some walnut kernels. Enjoy!
Date & chocolate cake
- 250 g pitted dates
- 100 g butter
- 50 g chocolate baking type
- 70 g sugar
- 2 eggs
- 10 g baking powder
- 1 pinch of vanilla powder
- 1 pinch of salt
- 2 big handfuls of walnut kernels optional
- Put the dates in a big bowl and cover with hot water. Leave at least 10 minutes.
- Melt the butter and chocolate in a bain-marie.
- Mix 2/3 of the dates in a food processor with a little hot water. Add water if necessary to obtain a pasty texture. Reserve the remaining 1/3 of dates.
- In a big bowl, whisk the date purée and the butter-chocolate mixture.
- Separate the egg whites and yolks.
- Whip up the egg whites with a pinch of salt until stiff and foamy.
- In the bowl, add the egg yolks and sugar and whisk the mixture. Then add the flour, the yeast and another small pinch of salt. Mix well.
- Then, gently fold the egg whites into the dough.
- Finally, cut the remaining dates in 2 or 3 lengthwise and add them to the preparation.
- Optional: you can add coarsely crushed walnut kernels.
- Pour the preparation into a rectangular cake tin.
- Bake for about 35 minutes at 180°C (+/- 5 minutes). Check the cooking after 30 minutes with the tip of a knife.