Here is a simple but delicious recipe for a carrot, onion and sheep milk cheese tart.
An original way to eat carrots (or to recycle grated carrots!), which is a change from the classic savoury pies.
I also suggest a few variations at the end of the recipe.
Carrot, onions & sheep milk cheese tart
For the dough
- 100 g small spelt flour or wheat flour by default
- 80 g half wholewheat flour
- 70 g soft butter or olive oil
- 5 cl water
- 1 pinch of salt
For the filling
- 1 large onion yellow or red
- 450 g carrots
- 1 egg
- 50 g fresh sheep’s cheese
- 10 cl cream e.g. liquid sour cream or vegan rice or oats cream
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 tsp thyme
- Olive oil
Preparation of the dough
- Mix the flour and salt in a bowl.
- Add the soft butter cut into cubes. Mix for a few minutes with your fingertips until you have a semolina-like texture.
- Add the water all at once to bind the dough. Work the dough with your hands (previously floured so that it doesn’t stick too much) until it forms a non-sticky, slightly elastic ball. Add a little water if necessary, or a little flour if necessary.
- Let the dough rest while you prepare the filling.
Preparation of the filling
- Chop the onion into strips. Fry in a drizzle of olive oil in a large frying pan over medium heat for about 8 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- While the onion is cooking, wash and peel the carrots. Grate them coarsely (not too finely).
- Add the carrots to the pan and fry over medium heat for about 10 minutes, stirring constantly. You can add a tablespoon or two of water so that the mixture does not stick to the pan. Then set aside.
- In a bowl, beat the egg with the cream using a whisk or fork.
- Cut the sheep’s cheese into small pieces. Add it to the bowl and crumble it with a fork, so that the cheese is diluted with the egg + cream mixture.
- Then add all the spices and mix well.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Roll out the dough carefully on a sheet of baking paper. It may be crumbly and break: if so, press pieces together with your fingers to make a seam. Place the dough and baking paper in a pie dish. I use a pie dish of about 28 cm in diameter.
- Prick the bottom of the pastry with a fork.
- Spread the carrot + onion mixture over the bottom.
- Pour the mixture over, trying to spread it evenly over the whole pie.
- Bake at 180°C. Check the cooking time after 25 minutes, and adjust the cooking time according to your oven (about 5 to 10 minutes more). The pastry should be cooked and hardened and the mixture should no longer be liquid.
- Once the pastry is cooked, remove the pie from the pan and leave to cool on a wire rack.