A simple and basic recipe of cannelloni filled with a ricotta & spinach mixture and topped with smoked scamorza slices. Very gourmet! Buon appetito
Cannelloni with ricotta, spinach & smoked scamorza
- 600 g fresh spinach
- 300 g ricotta cheese
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 80 g parmesan cheese
- 2 eggs
- 6 to 8 sheets of lasagna dough fresh or not (for the dough recipe, see the ravioli recipe)
- 12 slices smoked scamorza you can replace it with mozzarella or nap the cannelloni with Béchamel sauce or tomato sauce.
- 6 basil leaves
- olive oil
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- Wash the spinach and remove the central stems from the larger leaves.
- Drain well, then chop the leaves into thin strips.
- Chop the garlic clove.
- Heat a frying pan, pour a trickle of olive oil. Fry the garlic for a minute.
- Add the spinach and heat again for 2 minutes.
- Put a lid on the pan and cook for 5 minutes over low heat and set aside.
- In a salad bowl, mix the spinach with the ricotta with a fork.
- Add the eggs and mix well to obtain a homogeneous mixture.
- Then add the basil leaves (sliced), parmesan, nutmeg and pepper and mix again.
- Prepare the lasagna sheets: if they are fresh (homemade or not) you can use them as they are (this is the best option!). If they are not fresh, cook them in a pot of boiling water (follow the instructions on the packet, you need to cook them until they are soft enough to roll them into cannelloni). Carefully remove them from the water so as not to tear them and dry them on a clean cloth. You can also use commercially available “tubes” of ready-to-stuff cannelloni.
- Place the stuffing from the centre of the sheet to one edge (1.5 cm to 2 cm thick stuffing) and roll the sheet on itself to form the tube. Adjust the amount of stuffing according to the size of your sheets by practicing once.
- Repeat several times and keep a little stuffing aside to brush the top of your cannelloni with.
- Arrange the cannelloni in a baking dish covered with baking paper or butter, with the seam of the cannelloni facing down.
- Brush the top of the cannelloni with the rest of the stuffing, covering the entire surface well (the uncovered parts will dry while cooking otherwise).
- Then cover with slices of scamorza.
- Bake at 180°C for 20-25 minutes. Check the cooking time with the tip of a knife.
- Serve the cannelloni with a nice mixed salad.